Saturday, September 17, 2011

BSBP Bead Soup Blog Party



Hi Everyone! This has been so much to participate in this bead swap and blog hop! If your not involved and want to learn more about the hop, and future hops be sure to check out Lori's Blog. This is my first time participating, and Lori has done an amazing job organizing this hop with almost 400 people involved!

 It has been so much fun getting to know my swap partner Marcy. She creates the most adorable little glass pieces. She also creates pieces for Beads of Courage, and has even had some of her beads go up in the space shuttle! She is super sweet, and super talented, and I can't wait to see the final pieces she created, as well as all the other participants final pieces.

Marcy sent me several beads, enough to make several pieces of jewelry. However, the moment I saw the butterflies I envisioned them floating over a flower garden. I knew the project I was going to take on would be the largest piece I had ever made, and I knew I would need to set myself on a schedule, and with luck and little bit of miracle I would get it done in the three weeks I had. I learned so much during these weeks, mostly the hard way. So very many mistakes along the way!





I began with the flowers, and allowed myself the first week to complete them. I had only made one flower before, and that was following a pattern from a book. So I googled flower pictures and kept them up on my computer for reference while I  figured out how to create my flowers.


I had my flowers finished, and was doing great staying on my schedule. This is where the challenges began.


This is the point I was at when I realized I wasn't going to have enough of this bead mix to finish. So I had to pull out the grass, and redo my bead mix (ensuring this time I would have enough) and start over again.








It was at this point that I realized the entire bottom of the necklace was off center by about a half inch. LOL. Again, I had to remove the grass (green) remeasure, and start again.


It was at this point that I realized I needed more sky. Which meant, again, removing some of the grass so I could extend the sky. Of course, it can't be just that easy, right? I always have to learn the hard way. After removing the grass I realize that the blue beads against the green marker aren't going to match the sky I already have. SO i think I will try this white fabric paint, which was a disaster. In the end I ended up having to remove that portion of fabric, and cutting out new pieces of lacy's stiff stuff and fitting it all together like a puzzle. Of course when it's all said and done, there is just a slight height difference in the pieces, so i covered up the small bump with clouds.

SO needless to say after all of this I was way off my schedule, which is why it is now 4:30 am Saturday morning, and I have been up all night finishing my piece, and getting my blog done.


Even with all the crazy mistakes, I still really loved making this piece, and am really happy with the final piece. And, I've learned a lot of lessons for future pieces.

 I can't wait to see everyone else piece!!!

So for this project these are a few highlights of some of the items I used from the many beautiful pieces Marcy made for me.

 


This sweet little bee on a flower is one of two options she sent me to use as a button clasp.










These are three cute and whimsical butterflies that Marcy sent me. She also sent me three super adorable bees that I will bee using in a furture project that i already have plans for.


 

I used the orange glass beads that she sent me as centers for these orange flowers, and the orange and yellow seed beads she sent are used as little sprouts coming up in between the leaves (they are kinda hard to see in the picture)







And here is the final piece...






 Here is the list of all the participants in Lori's BSBP! ENJOY!!!







54 comments:

marcy said...

WOW!!!!! I can't believe you did all of that. and learning about your process was fascinating. Congratulations on wonderful piece. so full of life and fun. xo

Regina said...

What a masterpiece, certainly showcases all the fun beads you received.

Karen Firnberg said...

Wowza! I can't believe you did all of that for this challenge. Great work!

Tammy Jones, JewelryMakingDaily.com said...

OH MY GOSH! That necklace takes my breath away. When I saw your first photo was going to be grass and sky, I thought, oh no, surely she's not doing what I think she's doing, it will be TOO amazing. And I was right! IT'S AMAZING! That spectacular necklace deserves to be on display in a museum. Congratulations to you! And thanks for sharing with us.

Lois Moon said...

This is so delightful. I love how you have tucked the glass creatures into the bead work!

Kim Stevens said...

What a show piece, a spectacular work of art. I agree with Tammy, it should definately be on display somewhere for sure. I have a book on making seed bead flowers just like this - have always wanted to learn, but I think I learn better with hands on instruction.

Just beautiful!!

rockcreekcreations said...

WOW!! That is absolutely beautiful!! You did a wonderful job!!

Unknown said...

Girlfriend you so rocked this soup!!! I am amazed with your skills!

Unknown said...

Very pretty!

Unknown said...

What a GORGEOUS creation! Your beaded flowers are lovely and what a pretty garden to wear around your neck! You will always have a bit of summer with you!

Unknown said...

Amazing all the work you put into this!! It is such a playful piece...a real treasure!!

la mar de bonita said...

Wow, what a beautiful unique work! I can't believe you did it all in such a small timeslot. I'm totally excited!
Greetings, Michi

Pam @ The Blue Between said...

oh wow!! clouds and everything! My partner last year did an amazing seed bead art piece with my beads and it blew me away - just like yours did - fantastic!

EmandaJ said...

WOW! Lovely and whimsical. We’re all being pushed outside our comfort zones — with amazing results!

Enjoy the hop,
Emanda

http://artemisiastudio.blogspot.com/2011/09/bead-soup-reveal.html

Shiraz said...

Really impressive work! Beautiful job!

CraftyHope said...

Oh goodness gracious alive. That's simply amazing! All that tweeking and whatnot. . .it's sublime! You have really made something extraordinary!

Lutka And Co. said...

Wow, your seed bead skills are amazing! I love your necklace! Wonderful!

Moobie Grace said...

Sweet Baby Jesus!! :) I'm not sure I have any words...it's mesmorizing & fascinating!

Recycled Cottage & Garden said...

I am in total awe.

Sweet Freedom said...

First - love your banner!!

Second - my mouth is still gaping open at that stunning piece you created. I KNOW how much work that was - you have amazing talent and skills!! I enjoyed reading your process so much!

Pretty Things said...

What an amazing piece! I'm gobsmacked by what you did, and that you had the patience to even redo and redo -- I mean, it's not like me cutting apart wire!

I hope you'll join us again next year!

Love, Lori

Loris Glassworks said...

Wonderful! You have created a terrific piece of wearable art. I like your use of color and texture for this piece. Thank you for sharing your artistic process along the way. Cheers!
Lori

KayzKreationz said...

Oh my word. That is the most stunning piece. I feel like I'm right in a garden. It looks like a picture that should be hung. I can't believe all the work that took. Outstanding.

Serena Trent said...

You did an awesome job! I love the colors and the whimiscal feeling of the piece! Excellent beading too!

Amy S. said...

YOWZA! This is sensational! So colorful, so detailed, so perfect for the soup you received. I love al the colors. This piece just made me smile!

Silver Parrot said...

Good heavens...can't believe you were able to finish such an ambitious creation in the time we had (and you even had to fit in some re-work time). It's amazing! What a fantastic and original piece!

Shirley said...

What a stunning garden of color! I absolutely love the little flowers. Did you use the same pattern as the very first one you tried? Your love for bead embroidery shines thru in this piece, especially hearing the story of how many "do overs" you had!! Your concept was perfect, and the execution flawless. Awesome!!!

LissC said...

Thanks for all the super super sweet comments everyone!

I had a couple questions on the flowers...i didn't really follow a pattern. I just looked up pictures on the internet and did some simple brick and peyote stitches to create them. I did do some that were a little more detailed, like lily's, but decided I didn't like them as well as the simpler ones.

Again, thank you all so much for your sweet comments. This has been so much fun! If I haven't gotten to your blog yet I will! I'm doing a few every day. I figure it will take a month, but I will get to all of them :)

SoulsFireDesigns said...

Absolutely AMAZING work!

vonna said...

That's gorgeous!

Maggie said...

Finally making it here! I love Marcy and she sent you some wonderful beads to work with. You blow me away with your talent and imagination. That piece is an award winner!

coffeeaddict said...

Kudos! Redoing it three times?! I'd be ready to throw it out the window after the first.
Amazing necklace!

Myléne Hillam said...

Oh what a fabulously whimsical piece. You have put so much thought and effort into it and it's a joy to look at. Great job!

Chelles said...

Wow.. Talk about a statement necklace! It's absolutely beautiful!
Really enjoyed seeing photos of the progression as well. Thanks!

Jennifer Cameron said...

WHA WHAT??!?!? That belongs in an art museum...

Terri said...

Wow-za! Now that's a a show stopper! ...look at all time that went into the labor and design. And redo's..oh my goodness. You have serious beading skills! Really Soup-er!

I LOVE color! said...

I am so sorry I am so late hopping your way. My computer dug it's heels in and said Not gon'a go thaat fast.:^)
Your designs are nothing short of amazing.OMG how do you do that all those tiny beads I am so impressed
Be blessed to be a blessing

Lola said...

What an amazing and beautiful labor of love!

Cindy Cima said...

Wow! What a fun necklace - amazing job!

Beadaholique said...

WOW! So creative and beautiful. Your beading is amazing - it is a true piece of art.

Julie and Andrea

Kate said...

You know, every time we do this BSBP thing someone comes up with stuff that leaves me a babbling mess. That's you this time. Way to go! It's amazing.

Tracy said...

Wow, what a stunning piece of wearable art...love it. It must have taken hours and hours..but the final result is well worth it.

Cynthia said...

Wow! simply amazing!

Bobbie said...

Oh, my! I did some weaving and embroidery on a piece for this swap, too, but the sheer number of hours you put into this makes me dizzy! Really, really wonderful and whimsical!

Clamworks said...

Wow! WOW!!!! That is probably one of the most incredible pieces of jewelry I've ever seen...absolutely stunning!!

Maneki said...

What a lush necklace! It's so beautiful and creative. I really like that you did not just make the garden, but also the sky part of the design. And the way you incorporated the lampwork beads. Very impressive work! Fab job!

Christine Altmiller said...

this piece is unbelievable!!! absolutely the best!!! what a happy piece! i want to be in that flower bed right now :-)

Anonymous said...

It is adorable!!! Your beading is wonderful..I am just starting to learn to do that, so I look at this necklace in awe! Lovely!

PiPa said...

It's a stunning piece!great work, and funny too!!!
Silvia

one-eared pig said...

I am just amazed, well and truly amazed!

Here Bead Dragons said...

That's an incredible amount of beading - what a beautiful piece

~cryssT

Manuela said...

I am so late with my blog hopping, so sorry about but I am trying to catch up with all participants after my holidays.

I am amazed - it is not only a big amount of work but an incredible beautiful art piece. I love it and I am sure it was a challenge but you can be proud of - it is really breathtaking.

I am happy to meet you and your blog, thanks also for stopping by.

♥ Manuela

Anonymous said...

Amazing! I really take my hat off. This is so much work and so much thinking!
Ambra

Ann said...

That's fantastic and a huge amount of work. It's so bright and happy, just like a summer garden.