Thursday, February 10, 2011

Jasmine's Angel




Following up on my Scottsdale Bead Supply store challenge piece Original Post , I finally finished the piece. Due to my kitty Jasmine's curiosity it wasn't without drama!

As I am working on the piece I set down my needle and thread and started working on my clasp. As I am working suddenly I notice my piece sliding away from me. 

Jasmine has grabbed the thread and is eating it. After a frantic search for the needle I realize, she has swallowed it.  I call my vet, and they are out of the office.  This is where things start falling into place, for this beautiful angel to rescue my kitty. I take her to another local veterinarian that I have been to a few times in the past. Come to find out, they don't have the equipment needed to remove the needle. They want to send me to a pet emergency clinic that can help her, however, they need payment up front. And it is going to cost $2000.00. Needless to say, I completely fall apart. My pets are my babies, and they are basically telling me she is going to die because I don't have the money to help her.

I am on a extremely limited income, i have no room on credit cards, $35.00 in my checking account, absolutely no way to come up with $2000. So basically they tell me, they can try to pull it out, but they can't tell from the xray if the needle is stuck into her esophagus, and if they pull it could push into her lung, rupture her lung, and of course, this would cause her to die. Obviously it's the rock and a hard place scenario, do nothing she dies, try this and she will probably die. So I tell them they have to try.

So they shave her little leg and are getting ready to put the iv in her, because they need to sedate her to try this, and they get a phone call. Some amazing, beautiful spirit saw my distress on her way out, and not only did she see my pain, but she has decided to respond to it. She called and tells them, she wants to help me, and she basically pays the whole bill for the emergency procedure. Complete stranger, never saw her, don't know who she is. At the time when I heard this, I was literally speechless. I've heard people say they were speechless, but I literally opened my mouth and nothing come out. I was so overwhelmed with emotion I could not even form words.

So we run her to the emergency place, they xray her, and sedate her and remove the needle. come to find out, the needle had penetrated into the esophagus, and into her lung. Had they tried to pull it out, it would have pushed further into her lung, and it would have definitely ruptured her lung. So had that angel not called when she had, if she had waited 5 more minutes to call, she would have already died.

So Jasmine is home, and is healing up just fine. And my life is forever changed, by this woman who was a complete stranger, and saw another person in pain, and helped. My mom is a social worker, so I was raised to help when I could, to be involved in causes, and to always give my last dollar to someone on the street who was hungry or in need. Never ever in my life though, did I ever imagine that I would be on the other side of that. That someone would see the need in me, and respond to it. You hear stories of angels that see people in distress and respond and help, but I never thought someone would help me like that.
I don't think there are words to express how deeply this Angel touched me. Nor what it meant to me for her to save my lil Jasmine Kitty. This kitty sleeps next to me every night, with her little legs wrapped around my arm in a hugging fashion. To lose her only because I could not afford to save her would have been devastating to me. I've been dealing with a lot of things, and I really feel like it would have been the straw that broke the camels back had she died. So this woman really saved me as well as my kitty. I will never forget what she did for me.

2 comments:

Lynn said...

You aren't the only one who is speechless! What a story.

Hooray for Happy Endings!!!!

Mandy said...

Wow that is an incredible story. She paid the whole $2000?? That is amazing. I'm so glad Jasmine is ok, she is so cute! And thanks for posting about the dangers of cats on beading tables, now if only I can get mind to stay off...