Sunday, February 14, 2010

Learning the Peyote Dutch Spiral with Chrysocolla and Seed Beads



Soothing Seas - Chrysocolla and Beaded Necklace


I am just so happy with this necklace. I've had these beads for the longest time. Like, 2 years or so. I knew I loved them, but it wasn't until just a few months ago that I ran into some seed beads and thought "These are perfect!".

As such it took me another month to figure out what I wanted to do with them. And finally last week I began stringing, and playing with the beads, and tried my hand at the peyote dutch spiral for the first time. I only had to take it apart 3 times and start over before perfecting it. I have been accused of being to fussy about my work. I have heard before that when the traditional native beaders created pieces and made a mistake, it was ritual not to remove the mistake. Once stitched it was meant to be, and they were not supposed to remove it. I love the concept; however I always have to go back and remove a mistake. Unfortunately if there is an error it is the only thing I can see. Thus, the three times removing and redoing the seed beads on this piece. However, after some trial and error, and I am really very happy with it.

Aren't the colors just gorgeous??? Just reminds of me of mother nature in all her supreme excellence. I love the blues and greens. Like oceans and forests mixed together.

No comments: